Personagraph

Monday, November 10, 2014

Future Ready or Future Tense

The very nature of the word ‘Future’ talks of uncertainty and possibility. I sometimes wonder if future and outer space are actually expressions of the same quantity. (No, I’m yet to see Intergalactic) Both are not limited by the bounds of time, speed, surrounding conditions and possibilities of certain things happening, when and why they would happen, and the severity are all unknown quantities. Practically, future is all but a set of speculations and theories based on what we have learnt over the years about people and the space.

So are we bothered by and prepared what the future holds? It might be a thought we should spare a moment on amidst all the happy-go-jolly, live-for-the-day and chill-pill ideas people today ride on. It is definitely not worth ignoring in an era where most people by the end of the first week are counting in on the account balance after the EMI for loans and credit card bills generated largely over weekend entertainment and shopping have been paid off. It is not uncommon for some of the people around me looking for a hand loan or simply saying “I’m a little tight this month” after the previous month’s extravagant spending spree.

Savings and financial planning has been one of the essence towards development of human civilizations. The hunter-gatherer was a wandering person who ate when he found food or hunted and hence never cared for saving any for a day when it was difficult to find any. Planning for future was one of the first things that came in on giving up a wandering lifestyle and settle at one place. I would like to speculate that start saving for the future and get into financial planning is the underlying meaning when parents say, “You need to settle down in life”.

Saving for the rainy day is something we are taught as children with dropping in coins into a piggy bank being the initiation. As years go by, we are given a pocket allowance and unknowingly we start saving in all possible places to indulge into that stick of orange lolly which mom never approves of. As monetary needs grow, so does our allowance and in most cases, we still hunt for that opportunity to save towards our desire list. The allowance continues as we grow up and go through college right until that first job which signifies the arrival of an era of financial independence. In most cases, we tend to earn much more than what we have got as allowance and ideally this should result in greater saving. But today, it is consumerism that kicks in here and as a result, most people do not care for the rainy day any more.

Just because I’m writing this does not make me a person on the righteous path. Though my parents had initiated a Public Provident Find (PPF) account way before I got a job, my initial contributions were about Rs. 5000 per year for the first five years. The idea of fixed return insurance sounded ridiculous as it demanded me to invest a month’s salary every year to live with a huge sum in my account 25 years hence. Also, since I was nowhere close to the taxable income bracket, having money in my account and earning 6% p.a. on it sounded cool. Stocks and bonds sounded cool but you really need to be tracking the market for day trading or have cash in excess for possible long term gains. At most, a fixed deposit to get 8.5% p.a. was the highest level of growth related investment I went for.

I guess 2008 was a year with a turnaround as all of a sudden, tax on income became a concern and investment under section 80 suddenly became important. Even then, my focus was that balance where I minimized taxation and had the cash to spend as well. Investing 50K to save 15K in tax at times did not make sense. Today when I look back, it is actually a revelation that while it did save me tax, the investments are actually going to make an impact on available funds in the years to come as they contribute through interest and dividends. Investing 15K per year in a policy for 10 years is likely to give me a return of 3 lacs on maturity while saving me tax as well. Bottom line, a policy which will double your saving after a period irrespective of what happens around you is definitely worth it.

Another area of uncertainty is our health and wellbeing. As long as I worked with corporate establishments, my employers gave me a Mediclaim and Accidental insurance policy. I never bothered about the value for the same as it was one less thing to bother about. Most people are under similar feelings and never bother to get policies for themselves. But that’s the fatal flaw. A Mediclaim above 45 requires pre-screening medical test and a policy cannot be taken up after 60 years of age. As I for see, most of my generation will have aliments much before this age and company insured coverage of 2 lacs or accidental cover of 5 lacs is hardly going to make sense. Also, very few people would be aware that Mediclaim can entail cashless benefits of up to 8 lacs and that accident insurance policy can safeguard your family to 6 times your annual income.


If future is going to all about survival, it is for us to know what lies best in our interest. Corporate policies suggest a feeling of security, but is it a fact or just an illusion we have of security. All I can say is we as individuals need to be aware of our needs: today and in the future. I would not say we need to cut down on consumerism and become over cautious; but we certainly need to look at investment for the future in some serious light and not only between Feb-March. We need to exercise the right kind of tools to be in a condition where we are completely aware of where our next meal will be coming from. All in all; it’s wiser to be future ready than keep the future tense. 

No comments: